The holiday season is a time of celebration with friends and family...furry, four-legged ones included. But colder weather, decorations and parties can create safety hazards for pets. Make sure your holidays stay festive with these simple tips to keep your pet healthy and safe.
Keep holiday decorations out of reach! Ingestion of glass, metal, ribbons or tinsel can lead to serious medical emergencies for pets. Also, snow globes and artificial snow contain chemicals that can be harmful if ingested or inhaled.
Place holiday plants high off the ground! Pretty as they are, ivy, holly, mistletoe, poinsettia, lilies and other Christmas greens can all be toxic to animals if ingested. Also, do not allow pets to drink Christmas tree water as it can be harmful too.
Keep a watchful eye on pets! Everyone loves a party, but sometimes the hustle and bustle can frighten animals and cause them to run away. Designate a quiet, secure "pet room" away from the crowd. Just in case, make sure your pet is wearing a collar with current ID tags.
No table scraps!! Fatty holiday meats can cause a number of gastrointestinal problems while bones can cause bowel obstructions or choking. And remember: no chocolate for pets!! Chocolate contains a chemical that is highly toxic to pets.
Cold weather hazards! De-icing products, salt and ice can get into fur and paws, causing skin irritation or more serious conditions. Thoroughly wipe your pet's paws and tummy when he comes in from the cold. Take care to wipe up any spilled antifreeze as dogs and cats like the sweet taste. Better yet, use pet friendly antifreeze products.